Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Used Clothing and ... Frozen Food?

I just read the LAMP email and thought I too would like to share my experiences from days gone by.

I used to belong to a small rural congregation near my home back in the early 1980's, and volunteered to collect clothing, etc. for LAMP. The items needed to be taken to Thunder Bay, where Pastor/Pilot Gary Sartain would collect it and distribute it on his flights to the northern villages. I never expected the enormous response I got. I had two elderly sisters (both in their nineties) knitting mittens; others bringing boxes of skates, shoes and boots and lots of clothing. I even got a WWII great coat. Now my basement was full! How was I to get it all to Thunder Bay?

My next door neighbor, a Mennonite, suggested I call Erb Transport in New Hamburg and ask for the owner. I don't remember his first name but he was most interested in helping. He said "just bring everything in plastic bags down to our main office and we'll throw it on top of a load of frozen food on our way to Thunder Bay." Wouldn't you know it, Gary had access to a warehouse right next door to Erb Transport. God does work His wonders. I often wonder where our donations ended up. As for Mr. Erb; his name was in our local newspaper just last week being honored for his charitable work in the trucking industry.

May you receive many more happy memories.

Dorothea Faulhafer

No comments: