Wednesday, May 19, 2010

40th Anniversary Reunion

My name is Michael Newman and our family has had a long history with LAMP. In the early 70”s my family was living in Cold Lake Alberta on the Air force Base. The wasn’t a Lutheran Church close to the base so my father Bill Newman arranged for Pastor Les Stahlke to come into Cold Lake once a month or so to give communion to the Lutheran families on the base. Sometimes Pastor Stahlke would fly in. One time when the weather was bad, he had the control tower give him a radar vector to fly in on. I remember him telling my father that that was the first time he had been called a slow moving target. Sometimes he would drive in. When he drove, he would often stay overnight at our house. It was about 3 hours drive from Edmonton. I think that Pastor Stahlke ministered in Cold Lake for 2 years. Our family moved from Cold Lake to Montreal in the summer of 1973, and I am not too sure if LAMP continued to come to Cold Lake after we left.. My sister Sandra Newman ( Plouffe ) was married in Edmonton in 1978 and Pastor Stahlke officiated at the wedding. At the 40th anniversary of LAMP my sister met Pastor Stahlke once again!

No comments: